There are general and specific requirements for admission into the Postgraduate programmes of Covenant University. This policy contains the requirements and procedure for admission into the different Postgraduate programmes available in the University.
Interested candidates shall complete the application form on the University portal and provide all relevant documents as specified on the application form, including certificates of degrees and/or diplomas, academic transcripts, reference letters, statement of purpose, concept note on the proposed area of research and nomination of potential supervisors from the department of their interests.
Candidates are expected to interact with the departmental websites via the School of Postgraduate Studies website for the potential supervisors academic and research profile.
Candidates who are Nigerian citizens shall, in addition, provide the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge, exemption or exclusion certificate.
Each candidate shall request and ensure that the institution(s) attended process and forward official academic transcript(s) directly to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies.
Only candidates whose transcripts have been received will be considered for admission.
Master’s Degree Programme
Candidates seeking admission to the Masters degree Programme of Covenant University must possess a Bachelor’s degree from Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University.
Preferably, candidates with First class, second class (Upper division) and Second Class (Lower Division with a minimum CGPA of 3.00) in the relevant discipline may apply.
Minimum duration of study for the award of the Masters degree is two academic sessions for full-time.
PhD Degree Programme
Candidates seeking admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree Programme of Covenant University must possess the Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees of Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University in the relevant discipline.
- To qualify for direct entry into the Ph.D degree programme, a candidate must have a minimum CGPA of 4.00 on a 5.00 scale or equivalent (60%) in the Master’s (M.A/M.Sc/M.Eng/M.Tech) degree result.
- Candidates who graduated with CGPA of 3.50–3.99 on a 5.00 point scale or equivalent (55–59%) in the Master’s degree may be considered for M.Phil/Ph.D programme.
- Covenant University shall award M.Phil degree to M.Phil/Ph.D candidate who fails to meet up with a minimum CGPA of 4.00 upon the completion of coursework examination.
- Such candidate shall proceed to write a long essay/project and upon successful defence of the project would be awarded an M.Phil degree in the respective discipline.
The M.Phil/Ph.D programme is intended to prepare candidates for the Ph.D degree.
Candidates with professional Master’s degrees are not eligible for the Ph.D programme except they obtained M.Sc degrees in the relevant fields.
The minimum duration of study for the award of Ph.D degree is three academic sessions for full-time mode.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The Covenant Business School (CBS) offers Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree Programme with options in: Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Entrepreneurship and Real Estate.
Candidates seeking admission to the MBA degree Programme must possess
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with at least a second class lower division from Covenant University or any other university recognized by the Senate.
- Candidates with Third Class Bachelor’s degree, HND (minimum of Upper Credit) in a relevant discipline or professional qualifications such as ACA, ICAN, ACIB, etc. must have, in addition, a Postgraduate diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 to qualify for admission. The duration of study for the award of the MBA degree is two academic sessions (Full-time).
- Applicants are to note that all postgraduate programmes in Covenant University are on full-time basis except M.Sc/ACIB Finance programme which operates on a part-time.